Whitchurch History Cymru
A walk along Heol Don
A WALK ALONG HEOL DON
A fascinating history walk from Wingfield Road to Heol Don - starting at Ivy Cottage in Bishops Road.
IVY COTTAGE
Originally a thatch-roofed coach house/stables, with a story of a terrifying injury to a little boy.
BURGHSIDE
Designed as the grand home of Charles Rigg, architect. He designed much of Albany Road, Plasnewydd and City Road. Charles died following a hunting accident in 1906.
BENTON HOUSE
Built c1888 by Edwin Williams, and was home to David Morgan Rees businessman and local JP. Known as ‘old fourteen bob’ as this was his usual fine in court.
VAYNOR/THE ORCHARDS
Originally a grand house built c1890 it’s now a development of six new houses.
MYSTERY HOUSE
A real mystery house (or two). Never shown on any map, Hepstang and Silbrook were built sometime after 1900. Demolished before WWI, the site is now the home of half-a-dozen houses built in the 1960s. Only the high stone boundary walls and mature cedar trees remain.
MILFORD HOUSE/33 HEOL DON
This was a private school in the 1920s and home to Ronald Lockley the ornithologist.
51 HEOL DON
.Home just before WW2 to Sam Mekosha another Victoria Cross (VC) holder of the parish
BRISLINGTON
Another mystery house. The childhood home of Harry Morrey Salmon CBE MC. A businessman, he fought in both WWI and WW2 and was also an ornithologist.
POST OFFICE/PILLARBOX
This house was previously the local post office. The pillar box is one of only two boxes in Wales sporting the Edward VIII cipher.
HEOL DON COTTAGE
An ancient house, it was in the ownership of the Marquis of Bute in 1766. Originally two stone cottages with a thatched roof, now a single house.
HEOL DON HOUSE
Little is known of this house, but it is of considerable age. John Cornish, a flour merchant lived here in 1841. He later ran the Company Shop at Melingriffith.
AROUND THE CORNER
Just behind the cottage was the council maintenance yard. The houses beyond were the first council houses in the parish.
English
Cymraeg